Burlington City & Lake Semester
Statement of Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
Burlington City & Lake Semester is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive program and incorporating diverse perspectives throughout the projects and experiences of BCL students. We will treat each other fairly while promoting our collective commitment to equity and inclusion.
Burlington City & Lake Semester is committed to actively promoting inclusion and equity in all aspects of our program. The following are our guiding principles:
- We honor the inherent dignity and worth of all people.
- We fully embrace and welcome the diversity of our community as expressed through race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, immigration status, language background, language proficiency, and family structure.
- We make room to hear all voices.
- We build community through practices that nurture trust, develop resilience, and help everyone feel like they belong.
- We incorporate diverse perspectives into the projects and experiences of BCL students.
- We pledge ourselves to ongoing inquiry and dialogue to foster respect, empathy, fairness, and caring that will enrich the lives of students and our community.
When we fall short of our intentions, we are committed to reflection, learning, and active engagement. We will use restorative practices to rebuild connections and nurture resilience. We believe that these principles are as important for closing the achievement gap as academic-skills intervention.