Exploration and inquiry in the City & Lake Semester is guided by a set of essential questions:
Where are we?
Who are we?
What does it mean to thrive?
By studying Burlington’s past and experiencing its present reality, students look toward the future with the hope of answering:
Where are we going?
How do we get there?
As the city, its needs, and its opportunities change, so will the topics we study. BCL is about real issues and responding to our community in real time.
Past projects include:
- Collaborating with the City of Burlington on their annual equity report
- Working with professional artists on community art projects
- Creating a short documentary film about Burlington’s people and neighborhoods to share with families moving to the city.
- Studying the health of Lake Champlain while collecting data alongside local scientists and advocacy groups
- Representing Burlington’s youth voice in a global sustainability network.
- Working with local transportation groups on equity issues around public transportation for youth in Burlington
Through the careful study of our city and its systems, BCL hopes to continue to impact the lives of those in our community, turning learning into legacy.